Thursday, July 22, 2010

CVS


So here in Philly, I live within a block or two of multiple Rite-Aids and CVSes (hm, how does one pluralize CVS?). Before, I was of the opinion that all convenience stores are pretty much the same -- utilitarian, not that welcoming or comfortable, harsh lighting, scruffed floors, etc. But I've recently been very impressed by a new re-design CVS has introduced to its stores. They carpeted the floors, have self check-out lanes with computer kiosks, a very colorful, easy-to-read way of labeling aisles, and even a coupon kiosk where you swipe your CVS card and it prints out coupons for the things that you've bought most frequently. Everything is clean, well-lit, bright, and colorful. The first thing that comes to mind is that it reminds me alot of Target -- CVS's new shopping baskets are bright red, and the labels for each aisle's contents are bullseye-shaped. It actually reminds me a lot of convenience stores in Europe -- I think Americans have gotten used to cheap things automatically being unpleasant and not well maintained, which doesn't have to be the case. In sum, I am quite impressed by the new feel of CVS's stores, so much so that I went in there one day just needing bleach, and I came out with 2 bags full of stuff.

2 comments:

  1. "I think Americans have gotten used to cheap things automatically being unpleasant and not well maintained, which doesn't have to be the case." yeah, that's def true; i hadn't thought about it that way. your cvs does sound way snazzier than any ones i've been to, though, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such CVSs have not made it to New Haven...

    ReplyDelete