Saturday, July 24, 2010

Work, Shopping and Purple Purses

So this past week at work has been pretty intense -- haven't left the office earlier than 7:30 pm, making for lovely 11-hour work days. And to top it off, I had to come in at 10:30 am today, and 9:00 am tomorrow (Sunday!?!?).  This past week has taught me that I am definitely a person who works to live, and does not live to work.  My weekends are sacred to me.  It's when I have time to go out, explore, discover, experience, and just do the things that bring me joy and make me feel content. And I don't think that will change, no matter what profession I'm in or how passionate I feel about my career.  So this weekend, when I was forced to set an alarm on a Saturday morning, rush through breakfast, not go to the gym and miss the local Saturday morning farmer's market, I was pretty angry. 

So what do I do? I go shopping.  Yes, I am aware that I am probably doing this because I feel like I lack control of my work life, so I try to make up for it by finding pleasure through shopping.  But whatever, I can justify it by the fact that I bring my lunch to work every single day and rarely go out for dinner, which surely has saved me hundreds, if not a thousand, dollars over the past year.  So yes, I went shopping.  I got lots of flirty, girly tops with flowers and ruffles and pretty pastel colors.  And the crown jewel was a purple purse.  I know a purple purse sounds hideous and gaudy, and like it won't match with anything.  But I can't help but look at it and smile. And I know I will look forward to wearing it every time. So after a bad start to my Saturday, that has brightened it up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment