Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New Foods

So this past weekend I had a relaxing, normal weekend in New Haven. On Sunday, Daniel and I were eating at Red Lobster.  And, as we all know, I am somewhat of a picky eater, and thus Daniel discovered that I had never really had crab before, and wanted me to try it.  So he gives me a hefty piece of crab, and I chew it, and my reaction is kind of neutral. It's ok, it's a pleasant taste, but I just don't get why people go crazy for it, consider it a delicacy, and pay lots of money for it.  I say to Daniel "Eh, I don't know, it's not that different from chicken".  And Daniel says that yeah, it's not some far-out, super-exotic-tasting meat that will blow your mind, but sometimes variety is the only thing that matters.  And I didn't realize that at the time, but it's so true.

Why do people eat different types of foods?  Surely they could simply find the one they liked the best and eat that for every single meal (which I have been guilty of many times....).  But sometimes, even if you love chicken in all its forms, you just don't want chicken anymore.  So even if you have to eat something that's not your #1 favorite food, that's ok, and that's what makes life exciting - to go out to a restaurant and give something a shot and not know what exactly you're going to experience when it hits your tastebuds.  That discovery and curiosity and risk-taking is something new to me, and I definitely want to try more of it.  I have a feeling there might be more crab in my future, and less chicken : )

No comments:

Post a Comment