Monday, August 2, 2010

Thoughts on Inception

Here are my thoughts on Inception:
  • It was too long, and the script could have been tighter. I found myself getting distracted and bored in the middle.
  • Marion Cotillard was excellent as his wife, and Leonardo DiCaprio was good as well.  I don't think Ellen Page was the right fit for the part. DiCaprio could have done with an older, wiser female by his side.  That said, the scriptwriters made Ellen behave like the stereotypical dumb female - sitting in the corner and asking obvious questions while the men are out fighting. 
  • Joseph Gordon-Levitt: it was interesting to see him in an action movie, after his role in 500 Days of Summer.  I think he pulled it off.  Although I felt bad for him to get stuck with the boring elevator hotel scenes while the rest of the crew was off killing people in Siberia.
  • Which brings me to...the Sibera-like post-apocalypse scene that lasted like the entire second half of the movie.  Was there really any need to have it in that dramatic of a setting? I don't think so.  It was kind of distracting.  I would love if it anyone could tell me if there was any real reason why it needed to be in a location like that. 
  • I kind of wish they had shown the guy dissolving his empire conglomerate at the end.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! I had some of those same exact thoughts. I also thought it was too long... I kept checking my watch and thinking it would be over... and it wasn't. I also thought that the Juno actress girl didn't act very well and DiCaprio also surprised me with some poor acting since he's usually pretty good. And what was with that winter scene? It definitely could have been in a simpler place, but of course it's all for the drama.

    ReplyDelete